Sustainability Awards and Rankings
Cornell University is a top-ranking Ivy league institution in campus sustainability and has been recognized for leadership in other areas related to the creation of a sustainable campus and community.
Recent Award: 2018 EPA Green Power Partner
Leadership in Green Power Education Award
Cornell was selected U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Center for Resource Solutions for its efforts to advance access, education, and public interest and engagement in renewable energy resources, especially in low-income communities. Read the news article
2018 Gold Rating
- Top Ivy League institution
- 7th year achieving STARS Gold. Cornell has maintained a Gold ranking every year since beginning reporting.
- 1st for Diversity & Affordability in New York State
- 3rd Overall in Coordination & Planning
Green Honor Roll | 8th Overall
- Top Ivy League Institution
- Recognized in Green Honor Roll for 7th year (every year Princeton Review has published)
Second Nature Carbon Commitment
- Leadership Signatory and on track to meet neutrality by 2035 with a 33% Reduction to Date
- Three Marks of Distinction from Second Nature for outstanding climate leadership
- Top Ivy League Institution for overall carbon reduction (33%)
- Top Ivy for renewable energy production
- One of first 50 schools in the nation to sign. First Ivy League institution to sign, and the only Ivy for many years.
- Top 10 overall reduction for doctorate granting institutions
- Top 25 for reduction by square foot (35.5%)
- Top 25 for reduction by FTE student (37%)
- Top 25 most aggressive carbon reduction goals among Doctorate granting institutions
- Top 100 in the U.S. for overall renewable energy production (with one of the most aggressive renewable energy goals in the country - 100% renewable electricity for the campus)
- 3rd largest reduction in the country for campuses with over 1,000,000 sq. feet
Sierra Club Cool Schools: Top 100 in the Nation
Statler Hotel TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Program
#2 in Save on Energy 2017 Green Report: Top Universities in the United States
EPA Green Power Partnership Member: The EPA Green Power Partnership is a voluntary program encouraging organizations to use green power as a way to reduce the environmental impacts associated with conventional electricity use.
Questions about Reports and Awards: The Campus Sustainability Office manages and coordinates data from units across campus, using sustainability metrics, for submission to national surveys and rating organizations.